An experienced and accomplished software engineer, innovator, leader and entrepreneur. Created, designed and implemented multiple first release software products and on-line services. Believes in leadership by example and open collaboration to achieve the best possible results, always. Acknowledged success in delegating responsibility to team members to enhance and enable their own professional and personal development. Passionate about learning, mastering, and incorporating new ideas and technologies.
Aquacue, Inc., Founder, CEO — Spring 2009 – Present
Adobe Systems, Sr. Engineering Manager, Sr. Computer Scientist II 1997-May 25, 2009
- Designed and implemented a horizontally scalable PDF creation on-line service using Tomcat, MySQL, Spring, Java, JUnit, ActiveMQ, and Adobe LiveCycle on Linux used to create 20K PDFs daily with near-zero queuing time (2008).
- Developed the architecture for a Flickr style REST-based web service for Adobe Share facilitating Acrobat 9 to offer on-line reviews and forms workflows (1 million transactions daily – 2008).
- Defined the architecture, managed a team of eight engineers, and led teams inside and external to Adobe to create the document storage and transformation system that creates PDF, Flash and JPEG renditions of users’ documents for Adobe Share (2007); 12K new users signup for this service daily.
- Produced the Acrobat Review & Comments Connector OEM product in Java to offer PDF based reviews workflow (2002). Used by Open Text, Documentum and Adobe Creative Suite 3.
- Conceived and implemented the Comments and Review server with an AJAX user interface for Adobe Design Team in Perl (2000).
- Implemented major components of the Adobe Acrobat Viewer in Java (10K weekly downloads – 1999).
- Led San Jose and India engineering teams and provided the architecture for the Adobe LiveCycle PDF Generator enterprise server (2005). Delivered PDF to text and HTML (2004), Print to PDF (2006), and Adobe Document Center (2006) on-line services. These on-line services account for over 8 million hits a day.
- Invited as speaker and panelist at the prestigious Adobe annual Technology Summit. Presented the case for the benefits of Cloud Computing for Adobe (2008). Developed a prototype of PDF creation on the Amazon AWS (2007). Two cloud based projects were undertaken at Adobe as the result.
Diffusion, Mountain View, CA, Sr. Software Engineer — 1995-1997
Designed and implemented a rich internet application in Java which included creating custom Java user interface controls. Defined and implemented a customizable HTML service for remote administration of the Diffusion server in Perl.
IBM, Toronto, Canada, Sr. Software Engineer — 1988-1995
Drove collaboration with IBM Research to transfer technology and deliver industry’s first C++ compiler product. Led the design and implementation of an innovative C++ source code browser and a novel pre-compiled header system for C++ on AIX. Awarded two patents.
York University, Toronto, Canada, Assistant Professor — 1983- 1988
Taught undergraduate Computer Science courses. Created a fourth year System Design course. Conducted research in software design leading to peer reviewed publications.
University of Salford, U.K., Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering (1982).
University of Manchester, U.K., B.Sc. in Computer Science (1976).
javey at mac dot com